Thursday, March 31, 2011

Facebook is no longer my Anti-drug


As Lent was approaching, I decided to do something that I've been wanting to do, but never really had the motivation to do it. I said I was going to give up Facebook for Lent. Yeah, some of you are probably rolling your eyes. I don't consider myself a practicing Catholic, but I figured I should try to maintain a connection with the Big Guy. I'm not retarded either. I don't really believe He is going to be impressed with my sacrifice during this time of medtitation and spirituality. "Yes, my child. I hold you in big regards for not being able to finish your Scrabble game and RSVP 'Attending' to next week's party. Betsy over there, promised to volunteer in a soup kitchen every Saturday and gave up lying, but I still think you're the bee's knees." My God has a sarcastic sense of humor. Hahaha...we get along well. Hence, why I think he's fine with my decision. He knows it means more to me than just for Lent.
 Facebook was taking over. Personally, I don't think I have an addictive personality, but at times I think to myself, "Why push it?" FB, wasn't a way of connecting with old or new friends anymore. It was becoming a daily routine.  Having such an active role in my life, FB was affecting my personal growth and path to discovery. I was letting comments, statuses, pictures, or the lack of, affect the way I was seeing myself. I needed a break. I needed FB rehab. I know 40 days and nights are enough to show me that I'm in control of my life and feelings, definitely not others via a social network. I concentrated my time on getting back to my weight-loss, love life, and my private book club. Plenty of Fish was suppose to fill that empty void FB left behind. Thankfully, it doesn't manipulate my time. POF comes to me (messages), I don't go fishing. So, I thought, well I guess I can give another social network a try. What was that site called? The one with the little bird. TWITTER!
 Twitter and I, have had some ups and downs. I didn't get it. I think it's because I don't update my every move. Plus, I enjoyed reading other people's comments about what I was thinking or doing. You really truly can't do that with twitter. Though, lately twitter and I have bonded. We're getting along just fine. I have more time on my hands to make a twitter update; I post links to pictures and videos. It's slowly growing on me and becoming a lot easier to use. Anyhow, the real question here is, "After Lent, am I staying away from Facebook for good?" Ladies and gents, the jury is still out on that one. I have days where I don't even think about it, but then I have moments where I wonder what my friends and family are doing back home. Wondering what's new in their life. Yes, I can text some, or even call, but it's not the same. It's not enough. Facebook, can be used for good. If I decide to reactivate my account, it will be for keeping contact with Miami, and Nicaragua too. Seriously, the jury is deliberating a verdict. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment