Tuesday, January 11, 2011

27 dresses

 I got asked to be a maid of honor today! My cousin, Ana Maria, is getting married and popped the question. Of course, I said yes. What an honor! I was my sister's maid of honor when I was 10 yrs old. It doesn't count, though. Some of you might be thinking this is cheating, but I'm in charge of this blog so what I say, goes! hahahaha... At 10 yrs old, there's really no maid of honor duties. The most I was in charge of was holding my sister's bouquet during the wedding. I didn't get to attend the bridal/bachelorette party. It sucked! It's different now. I get to help my cousin pick her gown, hopefully get a chance to plan out a bachelorette party, maybe make a toast, and support her through it all. Oh and the best part is this will be a destination wedding for me. My cousin lives in Nicaragua. Yea, not literally "butt fuck Egypt", but sure close to it. I can't wait!
 She told me I'm in charge of my dress (I love that freedom). Whatever style or design I want, just as long as it's red. Yeah, ladies; she described it as blood red. Hey! She's the bride and I say how high!? I have till October to lose 44 lbs and save about $500! I have 10 months; it sounds very achievable. I sound really excited about this, huh? Well, who doesn't love a great party and a day to dress up? Meanwhile, there's the whole idea of marriage that keeps nagging me in the back of my head.
 I'm not one to agree on the institution of marriage. Yes, my parents have been together for 44 yrs (I think) and I shouldn't be so pessimistic. I can't help it, friends. These are different times I live in, compared to my parents'. The longer I wait to get married, the better chance I have not to get a divorce. http://marriage101.org/divorce-rates-in-america/. I don't see the big rush, but "to each its own." Clearly, I'm not one to get in your face and say, "Don't do it!" I'm the kind of person that stands by you and hopes to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph you don't become another statistic. In other words, I wish you seriously the very best. Therefore, I'll be by my beautiful, practically my sister, cousin's side and try my hardest to hold back tears. Pfft! Who am I kidding? I never cry at weddings. They feel too awkward to lose any bodily fluids for.
Mazel tov!

2 comments:

  1. Lol.........I am not a fan of marriage either....although I know I would like to have a partner I can share my life with and raise a family. My grandparents where literally married till death did them part. They were married for 50 years. Like you mentioned in these times I just don’t see that. I wonder what the secret is. Anyhow, I do appreciate the symbolism of marriage and sharing a life together. For example, the rings and what they mean to wear them. Not for the bling aspect but for the unity and commitment it represents. I think the whole legality of marriage and the paperwork it entails kills the whole mood and complicates things. However, I am a bit of a commitment phobe but I’m working through that....that's why I prefer the term life partner...lol….congrats on being a Maid of Honor. I have never had that honor and you will be fab at it……Congrats to your cuz….xo Gabz

    ReplyDelete
  2. See?! I'm glad you get what I'm saying. I would move in with my partner for quite a long time before I even think of doing the whole marriage thing.

    ReplyDelete